Level: Experienced Travel Percentage: Up to 50%
Job Location: Flexible/Multiple Locations
Job Category: Instructional Support
Specialty: Reading Instruction, Special Education, Dyslexia
Position Type: Per Diem
Education Level: 4 Year Degree
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Center for Student Achievement Solutions is a professional development company. We provide job-embedded professional development learning opportunities, technical assistance, and coaching supports to Pre-K-12 educators throughout the US.
At the Center for Student Achievement Solutions, we specialize in the following areas:
- school improvement
- special education
- leadership development
- teacher development
- effective instruction for reading and writing skills across the content areas
- student support: individual tutoring, strategy building to manage learning issues, remedial and enrichment skill-building
- improving the outcomes of at-risk students, English Language Learners (ELL), and students with disabilities (IEPs) to accelerate and close achievement gaps.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Summary of the Structured Literacy Coach Per Diem Position
The Center for Student Achievement Solutions reading instruction tutors are considered a critical lever in the partnership with districts and schools to support students who are diagnosed with a reading disability, learning disability, dyslexia, at-risk for reading failure, and English Language Learners (ELL) students who are reading below grade level. There are three primary functions for the role; assess the needs with diagnostic tools, prescribe appropriate interventions; provide explicit, systematic, and structured in a one-to-one setting or small group instruction to accelerate growth, development of essential reading skills, and close achievement gaps in reading.
The ideal candidate will be subject matter experts with expertise in using a multi-sensory approach through structured literacy programs such as; LETRS, Lindamood-Bell LIPS or Visualizing and Verbalizing, Wilson Intensive Reading, Barton Reading, and Spelling System, Orton-Gillingham, Slingerland, etc.).
This is a per-diem position. We will assign reading tutors to provide one-to-one or small group intensive tutoring support in schools, a hybrid model, or virtually. Reading tutors also offer one-to-one or small group intensive tutoring after-school or on weekends in-person or remotely using virtual platforms. The reading tutors will be scheduled based on requests from the districts and schools that we serve. Reading tutors also provide private pay reading tutoring services to parents who request support for in-home services or remotely.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Must be passionate about teaching struggling readers, students with learning disabilities, dyslexic, and English Language Learners (ELL).
- Collaborate with classroom teachers and school leaders to discuss student learning targets, reading curriculum, and instructional supports that will be provided to accelerate learning.
- Provide targeted remediation or intervention support to 1st through 8th-grade students who have an IEP for reading.
- Work with students in a one-to-one setting and/or small group reading instruction with two to four students.
- Review student achievement data to identify strengths and weaknesses.
- Plan learning objectives and establish short and long-term goals to meet reading growth targets.
- Remediate developmental milestones during the tutoring session, teach appropriate research-proven instructional strategies, provide students with motivational feedback, and accelerate learning.
- Monitor student progress using ongoing assessments of learning and complete progress reports in a timely manner.
- Provide weekly progress updates to each student’s parent and teachers.
- Create an individualized tutoring schedule to ensure that all learning targets are met.
- Additional learning objectives and reading support identified by the school leaders, teachers, or parents.
A successful candidate will have a passion for the Center for Student Achievement Solutions’ mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive practices.
Interested candidates must possess a high degree of integrity, flexibility, curiosity, and a growth mindset to support and manage assigned students’ growth targets and proactively adhere to timelines while working from home/away from direct supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education, Curriculum Instruction, Special Education, Reading Specialists, or related education field.
- Must possess a valid teaching license in one of these areas to be considered for this position.
- At least two or more years of successful classroom teaching experience at the early childhood level, elementary school level, or secondary level.
- Certification in a specialized program, like Orton-Gillingham, Wilson, Barton, Lindamood Bell or other structured literacy programs.
- In-depth knowledge of structured literacy curriculum programs in the area of specialization and pedagogical approaches that are interactive, engaging, and impact student achievement.
- Proven track record of helping students achieve reading success, with an emphasis on Students with Disabilities, Dyslexia, Title 1, English Language Learners, and students at-risk for reading failure.
- Current fingerprint clearance card (or will obtain one).
Special Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of content standards and experience in research-proven structured literacy instructional strategies.
- Conduct one-to-one tutoring sessions using the designated methodologies needed for each individual student.
- Experience implementing technology-enhanced instruction.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organized, reliable and punctual.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and virtual meeting programs (Zoom, etc.) preferred.
Enjoy the Following Benefits
- Competitive pay (based on a per diem scale that is generally agreed upon during interview process).
- We will provide the client’s priority goals and performance metrics for each professional development engagement, and our approach to coaching framework will be provided.
- We provide training and ongoing support to content specialists to ensure that you are proficient with delivering high-quality professional development experiences.
- Opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of educators and students.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be physically able to drive and travel.
- This is a field position that requires a home office based in the physical territory.
Interested and qualified applicants are invited to submit their applications electronically by clicking the apply button.
These are items that should be included and uploaded as part of the online application.
- Detailed cover letter that includes why you would like to work for our organization, explain your core values, and how you meet the required and preferred qualifications.
- Professional resume/curriculum vitae and attach a page that provides information about the grade levels, reading programs, and skills you feel comfortable tutoring.
- Copy of teaching license and/or principal certification.
- Copy of certification in a research-proven structured literacy program.
- Contact information (names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses) for three professional references.
- If selected for the position, you must submit official transcripts as part of the hiring process.
- Due to the status of COVID-19, districts and schools require that all reading tutors wear masks.
- New York City Department of Education requires proof of vaccination.
- Would you please share whether you are willing to comply with the mandates set forth by some of our states, districts, and schools for COVID-19?
No phone calls, please. The Center for Student Achievement Solutions will respond only to finalist candidates.
Are you interested in applying for this position? Please scroll up to the top of the page and click APPLICATION. If you still have questions regarding this position, feel free to contact our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Center for Student Achievement Solutions is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive practices. We provide equal employment opportunities for applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination and discharge practices or any other aspect of employment based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE.